View Single Post
Old 09-26-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Nurse is overpaid, no one is going to argue that. Holland overpaid by at least 1MM a year, the Jones deal and a couple others created an aritifical bubble in the price of D men, and the timing of him needing a new deal was just 100% the wrong time. I'm far from the biggest Nurse fan, but I try to be realistic and objective. He's a legit top 4 defender on any one of 30 other NHL clubs, he plays incredibly tough minutes, and he is a major part of their core leadership group. There is value there.

Saying "put him on waivers" or "trade him" is just, how shall I say it.... not smart.

First of all, legit top 4 defenders or top pairing defenders (I believe Nurse can be one half of a top pairing), do not grow on trees. You can't just go out and get one in free agency, and not for much less than you're paying Nurse now.

Second, it takes two teams to make a trade. Suggesting you can unload Nurse and his "horrible" contract, while at the same time acquiring a legit top 4 or top pairing defensemen in return without giving up some major assets is just completely unrealistic. Any time you're the team trying move a player, you're not likely gonna win the trade.

It's fine to not like the contract, I definitely don't love it, but at least be realistic about the situation. It kinda reminds me of the guys wanting to trade Draisaitl and his "horrible contract" a couple years ago...
My point is we are cash strapped. If we had to do something… we could get rid of Nurse… get just as good a player for $6 MM.

So can you trade him? Likely not unless you pick up some salary which defeats the purpose.

If he was lost on waivers… as an extreme example… he’s not a superstar and is replaceable for cheaper…

It all comes down to money.

Maybe there is another team desperate for defence… but right now that is our weakest link.

Also having an overpaid person on the team does harm morale. We don’t need that hair on the team.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin