View Single Post
Old 09-26-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
He is 27 and just starting his prime years for a D man, but I expect he will grow into that contract. Is he over paid? Yes at the moment. Before his contract, I was expecting it to be right around 8. Jones signing altered that.
Sundance your flame is showing
I sincerely hope you are right… but as a fan I am skeptical.

You see… every other contract of this duration pays on a players current value knowing that at the tail end their AAV drops. In this instance they are paying assuming Nurse is going to have a breakout year and exceed his current AAV. No one in the league sees this happening… but we can pray it comes true.

Quote:
Darnell Nurse signed a 8 year / $74,000,000 contract with the Edmonton Oilers, including a $24,000,000 signing bonus, $74,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $9,250,000. In 2022-23, Nurse will earn a base salary of $12,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $9,250,000.
I know it blows some of you away… but let me say it again just so your eyes bug out.

I am firstly a Flames fan… followed closely by Oilers.

Heads up Oilers:Flames… I cheer for Flames.

Any other Oiler game I cheer for Oilers.

Woohoo.

Try it sometime.

PS

Here is a link to sort by salary…

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/contracts/defenseman/

Right now Nurse is paid as a top 6 defenseman.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 09-26-2022 at 06:04 PM.