View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 03:39 PM

Default Elk hunting advice

Hey guys wanted to ask the experts (and the peanut gallery) about elk hunting, Specifily your experience on crown land hunting. This coming season will be
My first year attempting to locate and harvest an elk. The zones I’m currently spreading time learning about include 521,522,360,357. So basically valleyview,grand prairie and surrounding areas. My question is around how a person chooses a specific area of crown land to begin scouting. Each of these zones have crown land and private land and have very similar topography. Generally the thought is elk live in high country and come Down to the fields as the snow gets deep. These wmu don’t really have much for montains, more foothills if anything so really so this logic probably isn’t valid? I’m going to make the assumption that the elk in these wmu stay in the deep bush much of the year and end up in the fields once the snow falls? I’m also curious on how effective beginner elk callers are? I’m spending more and more
Time with my bow in hand and am truly looking forward attempting to make some calls and even better yet hear a response ...I’ve hunted moose for years and was realitivly sucseful at calling right away. With deer I seem to have limited to little success. Any advice will help!