View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelhooker View Post
Having kept the meat from my spring bear this year, I am interested in trying to do a Bear ham. Having little experience in brining –apart from Ribs, I was wondering if anybody has a recipe they would recommend. I have the Bradley digital and intend on trying a well cured, bone in very, smokey ham. Info regarding brine types, brine time, and cook/temp time to smoke time would be great. Any input would be much appreciated. Yes, I have looked through the recipe’s thread first. As well as doing a search. I have googled a few but would like to see what our community might have as insight.
Have a great day.
RH
Your biggest challenge will be getting penetration with your cure. I once considered doing pork hams (butchered about 20 pigs in my time) but decided against it as I was cautioned by a friend of mine who has years under his belt working in a smokehouse/sausage/ham plant out east, that you must get full penetration of the cure and brine (ie; injectors etc) or you run the risk of hurting/seriously injuring yourself/family, via botulism poisoning. Your best bet is to get the major curing done by a professional with all the right equipment, and then finish it yourself in your smoker etc.

My 2 cents