View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I posted this awhile back. It caused a stroke or two, but is relevant.

I have been reloading for 30 plus years and as with anything you develop preferences or bias towards certain products. This is what I use and why. I have had both the Lee kit (bought when I was a teenager) and the Rock Chucker Kit. I still have bits and pieces of each, but not much is left from either. Now on to the nuts and bolts:

Forster Co-Ax press: A complete luxury, but I got tired of runout and I sold two presses to buy it. It is really nice to work with. I find adjustments to dies are more precise and also more repeatable. And given it's floating shell holder and die holder concentricity is improved.

Redding beam scale: When I bought it 15 or 20 years ago it was relatively inexpensive and I believe it still is. I sold my RCBS scale to buy it, but am not sure it was an upgrade. It is a bit smaller which I like, and both would be as accurate as needed.

RCBS powder measurer: This came with my RCBS kit and works well. I've thought about upgrading, but am not sure an improvement would be seen. For the cost to upgrade I'm not sure it is worth it.

Wilson case trimmer: I have used a few trimmers. Most lathe type trimmers have flex and do not trim as consistently as they should. The Wilson is an exception and can actually be bought relatively cheaply. You don't get the bells and whistles, but they are a luxury not a need. Trimmers that trim off the shoulder datum are also great, but you need consistent shoulders to get consistent trim length. The Lee case length gauges and their associated trimmer are an exceptional value. They are as consistent as anything I have used, but you are relegated to one length (not a big deal, but it is a consideration) unless you modify the stop with a file.

Area 419 aluminium powder funnel kit with drop tube: A luxury, but nice.

Sinclair concentricity gauge:$120 USD One of those things I'm glad I bought. Not free, but not extremely expensive either. I bought mine on sale and went with a dial and not digital to keep costs down.

Sinclair nut comparator: $20 USD A cheap simple way to keep track of COAL using the ogive.

Sinclair bump gauges: $15 plus $8 USD Not an expensive tool that really opens your eyes to where you are moving your brass. This step can be accomplished with "feel", but sometimes you are out in left field without knowing it.

Sinclair COAL tool: $35 USD A surprisingly simple and inexpensive tool that will also open your eyes to where the lands actually are.

Dial Calliper: Cheaper than a good digital one and kinda bomb proof.

Redding FL busing dies: I like the floating bushing, the ability to control neck tension, and to FL size my cases. I buy the sizing die alone to save cash

Forster seating dies: I like a sleeve when seating bullets. I have found that the seating process wreaks havoc on concentricity. I use the non micromoter dies to save dollars.

Machinist pin gauges: These are cheap, a few dollars each, and I use them to determine neck tension. I have found the conventional methods for this to be unreliable.

Sinclair expander mandrels: I find I need those or expander balls to iron out necks. A non necessity, but I think they are $80 a piece and the die body less than $40

Lee priming tools: I haven't found a priming tool with more value. It works great. I like the originals and wish I had five of them.

Lee "O" press for bullet pulling: A $40 press that works for this one job well.

This is why I think guys should think this through a bit. It would have been cheaper for me to gather these over a bit of time than to replace later.

Often times the tools/ equipment reloaders prefer is based on actual use. For instance I load about 1000 precision rounds for 308 and 300 wm every year plus 500 give or take hunting/ plinking rounds for multiple
Calibers. My preferred equipment doesn't include any of your specific choice tools. Not saying your choice is bad in any ways just different. Often guys getting into rolling their own army even sure if the hobby is something they will love. I like having two sets. One is permanent set top in my gun room the other is a mobile unit for loading on the range/ or wherever. Because my gun room is a detached building I like to be able to some brass prep and such in the house while watching a movie with my family. I think it's wise to evaluate what you need/want out of your reloads( volume included) and buy specific tools to accomplish that. ie...lee trimmer is a great affordable cutter, but I would not want to run 3-400 223 brass through them for a three gun set up or even 200pcs of 300 wm for a long range outing...I try to buy items that fit well with my intentions at the time...if intentions change you can always add/ upgrade.