View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 03:36 PM
collectornine

Smile why Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBuck View Post
I have been drawn for a Bull Moose tag this year.

This will be my first Moose hunt.

I have a .30-06, and I usually just hunt deer. I have been using the (Federal) Fusion 165 grain bullets (link to ballistics). I imagine that I would want to use something with more energy behind it for a Moose.

I have read that people suggest a 180 grain bullet. I have heard that some people feel that a 165 grain SPBT will do the trick as well.

I normally hunt deer in the bush. I usually am closer than 100 yards before taking the shot. I'm not sure it this will be the case when hunting a Moose. I'm not comfortable taking a shot over 200 yards (maybe 250 yards if the conditions are good).

I want to make a clean kill, without excessive damage to the meat or prolonged pain for the animal.

What ammunition do you suggest?
It is Most admirable you want to make a clean kill etc.I would have to say if your gun is already shooting good with 165gr.I see no need to change its not going to make a bit of difference if your moose is shot with your 165 gr. or 180gr.a "well place shot "I dont think he will notice any diff as he is falling to the gound.Good luck happy hunting I have never shot a moose past 100 yrds .