Thread: Coyote Hunting
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I don't have the patience to bait, but I do have some experience calling the baldass prairie and I love it.

A lot of people believe the same as you that coyotes only use dens for whelping etc. but I've called several that I saw come from a den in the winter. Usually when it's cold and the wind is up. The culverts are just man made dens. I've called badgers from dens as well.

Calling open prairie emphasizes the need for binos.

I had two clients up for their first Alberta hunt. These guys were well experienced and had hunted all over the U.S., but had not hunted flat wide open prairie.

When I parked beside a pump shack for the first stand, they looked very uncomfortable. You could see for many miles in any direction and there was a couple inches of snow, so visibility was even better. We set up on a fence line about 150 yards from the truck. They thought we were too close to the truck, the pump shack, no place to hide and 'if there were coyotes here we should be able to see them".

We each sat with our backs on a fence post and I howled a couple times. While I was glassing, I asked how far they were comfortable shooting. turned out they were both snipers who never missed at any range

I spotted 3 coyotes coming on a suicide lope like coyotes are wont to do from time to time They were so far away they could not be seen with the naked eye.[ a couple miles]. They never stopped running. When they were about 250 I started to bark to get them to stop. The shooters emptied their rifles and did not touch one hair.

Amazing first Stand in Alberta. Coyotes from the next time zone running non stop in response to two howls. Two deadly snipers who both missed 4 shots each at running coyotes inside 200 yards. and a guide asking do you guys need a hug or anything??????

I love open prairie.
Jim , you really need to write a book , Id be in line for the first autographed copy .