View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Cheers.

I get a consistent 50/50 ratio of catches on the stonefly vs. hare's ear. My second choice for the hare's ear is a copper john. I find it really interesting that you have not caught anything on the prince nymph: it is the one pattern that has not produced any fish for me in the late season.

You have inspired me to try a little lighter flies next time. I am thinking a #14 hare's ear top and a #16/18 zebra midge or copper john.

Are you using a split shot? I have found a little extra weight helpful for those short deep pools where the big fish are sitting, but I feel that it affects the float.
Your proposed set up sounds good. I find the hare's ear much more productive than the prince lately.

I use the smallest microsplit for this set up, just to help get it down, and I haven't found the drift is affected too much. I usually have it about 4 inches above my first fly and then I go about a foot and a half between the two flies. I would say the full length from leader to the last fly is about 11 feet.

I don't use thingymabobbers on this set up since they need to be attached in the thick part of the leader. Because the flies are so light, the indicator has to be on the tippet portion of the leader so that the flies have a taut connection to the indicator. I use indicator yarn since I can tie it on to any point of the tippet. I'll typically use 5X fluoro. 5X only because it allows the flies to sink quickly. I think you could get away with 4X, though.

I've been having such great success with the Zebra that I haven't even bothered with the Copper John, and the Prince was more to add some weight to get the midge down. I think the Hare's ear and Copper John would be deadly.

I picked up a few 20"+ browns over the summer using a similar light set up.

Best of luck to you. Let me know how you fare.