View Single Post
Old 08-11-2022, 08:57 AM

Some made a very important point - every good systems takes some patience and practice. If you can find a sharpening system to eliminate some of that (like a clamp to blade and fixed angle sharpener) then I'd say - it's fine to go that route. For most novice to intermediate folks (like most of us) It will provide consistency and a sharp knife.

The pinnacle will always be an edge with a properly consistent bevel. Like a master knifesmith would get with a set of Japanese wet stones - but in the hands of someone like me, the results would be far less spectacular. Freehanding and maintaining the correct pressure, angles and cants take years of practice and lots of patience and time.

So, there must be an intermediate type of system right? yes, there is, and in my opinion it's flexible belt sharpeners. You do have to control your pressure and speed as you pull it through following the cant of the blade, but the angle (as long as you set it correctly and don't fight the guides) will be maintained for you. The flexible belt will impart a proper bevel if you maintain consistent pressure.

It's for this exact reason, that I see any fixed angle clamp to blade system inferior to a flexible belt system that imparts a bevel onto your blade (for the purposes of longevity). The initial sharpness may be indiscernible, but half way through your elk in the field is where the geometry of the edge matters.

Yes, agree, clamp ons are really hard to screw up. and Yes, even easy to use belts like the Ken Onion worksharp require some care (ensure you are pulling through and keeping your blade perpendicular and not tilting (or canting) it - but it's worth the trade off for me.

I can start a sharpening museum in my house with all the systems I've bought and used over the years - and I'm still not a fan of clamp ons.

Now, if a person was just starting out (or you know has no patience) - yeah - a clamp on is the way to go - and a good one will give you a good edge.