View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 01:07 PM

The gent on the left side of this photo is my Great Grandfather, the paragraph following the photo is a cut & paste that was written by my sister and of course the rest was written by my Great Grandpa himself. The following text (preceding the photo) was written by my Dad:

My dear Grandfather, Alexander Davidson Strachan,(on the left), in a photo taken in France in 1916, during the First World War. Grandpa fought at: Vimy Ridge, The Somme, Ypres, And Passchendale. He was awarded The Military Medal for bravery. He lost his brother, Edward Mowatt Strachan, at St.Eloi, Belgium, in 1916

The following is an excerpt from my Great Grandpa Alexander Strachan's autobiography, which he entitled "A Wee Herd Laddie's Memories." He was born in Scotland, but moved to Canada, and in WWI served in 43rd Cameron Highlanders battalion. *He described, in his no-nonsense Scottish way, much of what trench warfare was like for him. In this short excerpt he talks a little about his time in the trenches near Vimy, France, in 1917, when he was a 28-year-old soldier. It may be important to note that his battalion, though Canadian, wore kilts in combat:
While lying there, I figured that if I got killed, I wouldn’t need all my heavy stuff, and if I didn’t we would get back anyway. So I ditched the things I wouldn’t need. Packed my mess tin with bread, other stuff. Cut my coat hip-length, and waited until five o’ clock. The barrage opened up then and lifted and away we went, up Belleview Spur. Halfway up, a flare came down and fell on the back of one of my men. I opened my kit, and took one half to bandage him up, and told him to make back to the H.Q. They were in an old Fritz concrete shelter. Then on we climbed, until we took Fritz front line trench, and waited to get organized again. All at once, all went blank, and it was some time before I came to myself and found I couldn’t move, as I was jammed into the back of the trench. As the minutes passed, I found I had no hat, my rifle was bent in two, and all was quiet around me. I tried to scrape the mud away, and finally I saw that I was on the side of a shellhole. Everything being so soaked with rain, that the shell had gone so far down, that very little shrapnel had come up, which saved my life. Then I found I was quite deaf, my right side and legs was sore and useless, also my thumb (right) was all smashed at the base. Well, I kept trying, and finally I pulled myself out. I crawled back to another shellhole when I saw a fellow coming towards me, and when he got closer, I recognized him as the lad whose hand I had bandaged on the way up. He spoke to me, but I couldn’t hear a word he said. But he heard me, and I bawled him out for not going back. He said he should have done that, just couldn’t bring himself about to do it. As there was a Fritz plane flying around (the only one) we went into this shellhole one on each side, as it was half-filled with water. A few minutes later, everything went black again, and when I came to, I was a few yards from the shellhole, and when able to look around, I saw this chap a few yards from the other side, so the shell must have landed right in the centre of the shellhole. A short time later, Jim Sherriss and Black Smithy came along. They had been slightly wounded, and with one on each side of me, we managed to get back to H.Q. There was quite a crowd there, so we kept going until we came to a Y.M.C.A. Shelter, where we got hot cocoa and wafers and did that go down nicely. From there, we were taken in a truck to Ypres where there was a Medical Hospital. I couldn’t move I was so cold. I sat between two bib boilers until we got the call to board a train, and headed out. I sat there for awhile quite sick, and a Nurse came along and looked me over. Then she says in good Scottish voice, “Man, Scotty, I could plant tatties between your legs!” and I guess she could, thanks to Colonel Grassy and his “No Shorts” order.*

Last edited by CaberTosser; 11-11-2017 at 01:14 PM.