View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 11:00 AM

I completely agree with Bushleague, topography plays an important part in the lives of big bush deer. I personally love picking up a big track and following a biggun, it teaches you a lot of what they do in a day. As with fishing I look for signs of life in the bush. You can travel for miles with hardly any sign and then find a pocket of activity around a ridge or creek. They are there for a reason and the biggest of the bucks will be in the best spot for food, security and access to his harem. I have found big bucks are homebodies, preferring to spend most of their time in a small home range, like their bed as mentioned before, find it, be willing to do what it takes to get there quietly, with good wind and things might get interesting.
The rut changes things when they begin to think with the second head and disappear when they get hooked up with a hot doe but we can all relate. They will return to their pattern when resting. The area I tend to hunt has a few seismic lines cutting across and I travel these in search of a big track and then follow it. I have a compass and hand held gps (with extra batteries)to help find the truck, make sure you do as well. Fresh snow is awesome for tracking but can fill in your path back out as well.
Don't overpressure them, going into the same spot over and over is not a good idea, wait for the right wind and make your move.
When scouting look for areas with good activity and then circle out from there and this time of year anything can happen.