View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I guess the thing to remember is that there are three options on the table, I definitely wouldn't say two of them benefit or disadvantage outfitters anymore than residents and the third would only benefit them if they did not see a similar 50% reduction in allocations like residents would face. There's alot of information missing in the three proposals to allow anyone to make an informed decision right now. We need a lot more answers to questions. I'd also like to know why the numbers used to predict wait times in a potential draw were so sugar coated. SRD did not paint an accurate picture of a draw scenario...far from it actually. And, they have not indicated if outfitter allocation numbers would be reduced by a similar percentage if residents go on draw. We need to keep asking why they used the numbers they did and what will happen to outfitter allocations if resident opportunity is reduced 50%. It's unfortunate that outfitter allocations will we set before a decision is made regarding changes to sheep hunting as one has such a profound impact on the other.

I agree more information is needed. The draw scenario seems like an attempt at an easy sell to the residents. I think it is important to make sure our voices are heard, as we are not buying those sugar-coated draw numbers. If the past is an indication, I personally do not hold much faith in the allocations being reduced by any amount not to mention 50%. I do not expect any reply’s until the New Year when the SRD staff is back to work, but when they come back I want answers.

I think it is important for all involved to realize that this is not only about sheep; it’s about antelope and mule deer etc. With the increase in hunter populations in the province the resource has been divided among resident hunters but the non-residents have been keeping their ample slice. Unfortunately this slice will have be taken(partly) away, it will not be given as too much money is at stake. In order for this to happen a wealthy resident will have to take legal action. The SRD staff mentioned at the beginning of the post are like most government employees – they take the path of least resistance. The reduction of resident opportunities is that path. I believe outfitters are an important part of hunting in Alberta and have value to all hunters, but there needs to be some equality between user groups.