View Single Post
Old 11-03-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada970 View Post
I am Kens son and for any of those wondering, I am doin alright.
Got out of the house today to get some stuff we absolutely needed and I'll tell you now I held my fiance a bit closer to me and was watching over my shoulder more than I'm used to.
Definitely some scary stuff, but I'm still here to tell the story, so I consider that a win.
Sure I might be kicking myself a bit for not being able to stop some idiot with a gun, but it means my parents didn't have to bury me 10 days before my birthday.
Thanks for all the concern fellas!
Hey man glad to hear you're doing alright.

I already commented on this thread but over the last day or two this thread has been really bouncing around in my mind and has brought me some perspective.

I've never thought I'd ever be a victim of this sort of stuff, I'm a young guy sitting at 6'4" 210 lbs (a shrimp relative to your son Ken) and I always imagined if someone was looking to rob someone, they'd either choose an easier target than I, or that I'd be able to hold my own if it turned into a fight. Then the shocking reality is that isn't the case. At all. When it comes to people on drugs or with weapons, it doesn't matter how big you are. They make coffins your size too.

It also makes me look back on past times and think I'm lucky I haven't wound up in the same situation as well. Around a month or two ago, I was a bit inebriated with a few buddies out on the town, and I needed cash so I walk into this 7/11 to use the ATM inside while my buddies wait outside. It's probably 1 am, and we aren't in the best area of town. I walk up to the ATM, and I see this sketchier looking guy in the corner of the store sort of looking at me. I get my cash and start leaving the store and in the reflection of the glass doors I see him walking out after me. I walk out and join my friends and we get walking, and I turn around for a second and see the guy walked out and stopped and was still lookin' at me, but wasn't approaching any longer. Now I don't know, maybe this guy just decided to walk out at the same time to get some fresh air, but I'm fairly certain he would have tried something had I not been with a few friends.

So thank you for posting this. It has been a really good reminder that just because it has never happened to me (yet), it doesn't mean that I shouldn't take precautions when in these sorts of scenarios and overall be careful and aware of the possible dangers in public.