Thread: Beaver snaring?
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 09:37 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavinJ View Post
Is it legal to use snares to take beaver in a damage control situation?

I'm not sure if you can without a trapping license but I know you can with certain provisions if you have a resident trapping license. Which any one can get for the purpose of tapping private land they have right of access to.

From the wildlife act.

Quote:
(3) A resident fur management licence does not authorize trapping
by means of a snare except to trap
(a) squirrel,
(b) weasel,
(c) if the snare loop is totally submerged in water, beaver, or
(d) wolf, coyote, fox or bobcat if
(i) the snare is a device consisting of a cable loop and a
spring and trigger mechanism designed and set to capture that kind of fur-bearing animal by tightening the cable loop on its foot or leg, and
(A) the thickness of the cable comprising the cable loop is 1/8 inch or less, and
(B) the diameter of the cable loop, when set, is not
greater than 9 inches,
or
(ii) the snare is a device designed and set to capture that kind of fur-bearing animal by the neck and, where applicable, the specific use of a snare on the land referred to in subsection (1) has been authorized in
writing by the person who provided the relevant
authorization referred to in subsection (1).
It's a lot of legalize but basically it says you can snare beaver with a resident trappers license but only under water.

A resident trapping license costs $20.00 and is available to anyone.

Quote:
An Alberta resident 14 years of age or older must obtain a Resident Fur Management Licence to hunt or trap fur-bearing animals on lands:
a) they own, lease (other than leases that fall within a registered fur management area) or occupy, or
b) for which they have written permission – on Form WA 19A “Authorization to hunt fur-bearing animals” – from the person who owns, leases or occupies the land. Additional written permission is required for the use of power-neck snares and common neck snares

George Bernard Shaw