Thread: metis info
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

I'd be curious to hear what you take from that article?

If you would go a little further and Google Moose decline in North America, you will see that there are enormous areas in the states where the moose have declined so severely that they've disappeared. In Minnesota they've been lost at an alarming rate where there was NO hunting allowed by anyone.

Article also states there are areas closed to hunting to assist in Moose recovery and that means closed to EVERYONE even to Rights holders. Hence my point that governments do have the tools and the responsibility to manage the natural resources as they deem appropriate to ensure conservation of species. I will be the first to admit that the resource should not get to this state before sound management options are considered but that's what governments do best, react to situations instead of being proactive.

MMF President Chartrand and Grand Chief Daniels support are not needed if the crown wants to infringe on the Rights of Indigenous people, as I stated earlier Treaty Rights are not absolute and can be infringed upon if the crown acts in an honourable manner before imposing restrictions.

Getting back to Manitoba's moose, the populations have recovered to a point where there are harvestable populations of moose. The question is how does the province open? It cannot and will not be status quo, meaning open the areas and allow unrestricted harvesting by anyone...….there will have to be limits imposed to ensure the ongoing survival and management of the populations.

Fear mongering doesn't do anyone any good and only creates further animosity. You sound like a decent hunter, let me ask you, if you pursued your quarry with this reckless abandon, do you think you would be as successful as you've been, I doubt it. My advice is implement the same practises you use while you're hunting to help you address your concerns...…….the advice is free.