View Single Post
Old 02-28-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
So you go out on a 7 day trip, hand your wife a map with a circle on it. On the way in, you fall and break your femur 6 km from the truck. You're not expected back for another 6 days.

I'd rather hit an SOS button and have help in ~2hrs than lay in the bush for 6+ days with a broken femur

Call me crazy
Oh Ya. That's going to leave a mark if you break a femur. But only a few years ago it was the way things were. Shoot three times and hope someone came. Maybe drag your way back to the vehicle.

I know the SOS button is a great tool whether going solo or with kids, people or pets. I am not suggesting someone not use them. I was implying that us older guys told our wives or family where we we going and that was the way it was. I had some hairy events but am still here like many other older back country hunters. And the unfortunates that didn't make it back, back then, at least they died doing what they loved.

Four decades ago I went into a remote gold claim alone in BC 40+ miles north of Revelstoke for a 5 days and could only leave my wife in Alberta a map. I also stopped at the local RCMP station in Revelstoke and told them I was going in too. The nearest other people were between 12 and 17 miles away from the claim I was on. And I was dropped off by a friend and had to hike in a ways from the road so I had no vehicle until he picked me up 5 days later. I did fine and made it out ok. Even though it was late May there was still lots of snow in places too. Wife and kids were happy to see me when I got home. It was a great adventure that even yielded a little gold.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets