View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
Walleye are improving, but the other species are getting hammered. The tag system works for that species but throws off the balance for the rest of the lake.
The last week I ice fished Pigeon I was catching Walleye/Pike about 50%/50% and I was easily into double digits. Lots of hammer handles but did mange a few upwards of 6-7lbs. Best thing was that there was easily 3-4 age classes which is important. Balance is finally starting to come back. Too bad about water temps which is decimating the Whitefish pop.

The issues with the other species at Pigeon are related (directly or indirectly) to land development in and around the watershed whether it be farms or recreational properties. It is not because of the Walleye. All of the species co-existed in the lake long before us anglers or commercial fisherman screwed it up.

The tag system is a innovative way to manage the fishery while still allowing for some harvest. Although some people hate it, I'm a big C&R guy so I'm for anything that helps me catch larger fish more regularly so tag system gets my support.