View Single Post
Old 05-07-2020, 03:33 PM

So a timber frame home differs from a log house, as my 10"x10" timbers will be sitting vertically with 8foot to 10 foot spacing between them, then timbers sitting ontop of them all the way around. The rafters are also large beams 10x6 and get birds mouth jointed to the wall timbers, and sit ontop(notched) on another huge beam 12x9 that runs the length of the ridge.
The walls then get framed in with 2x6 in the dead center of the 10x10 beams, insulated,wired, and plumbing,
On the inside and outside will be stacked horizontal 2x4 and other width of boards, with a gap between them, sealed with log home chinking. Effectively giving us 10 inch thick walls.
The timbers will be seasoned naturally, this helps as then the entire structure drys evenly and shrinks together(you can not use some kiln dried and some natural wood together) as this will cause problems.
I am planning on hand hewing the beams, and burning them to give a old look to them. Again a ton of work, but the end result is beautiful.
We are trying to do most if not all the work ourselves as then I will not have to borrow a thing from the bank, I hate the bank.
Also this allows us to build it the way we want, not the way a lender tells you that you must build it.
It will all be built on steel piles, with a insulated 3 foot crawl space.
When I am in the process, I plan on updating this thread with pictures so those that are interested can fallow along.