View Single Post
Old 05-08-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
The roof will be insulated with foil back(not the store bought stuff, but I have a in with a manufacture that produces the high end stuff for the military, and aviation industry, then 4" styrofoam, then 2x4 then snap lock tin.
I will hand hew the beams with axe after they come from the mill, lightly burn them with the torch, then sand to finish.
I have a monster planer that can plane any boards that I need to do.
I will be doing all the joint work on the ground then putting the frame work up.
I have a crane at work as well as telehandlers and skidsteers I can use for assembly.
You will see the rafter beams from the inside as well as the 1x6 that will be sheeting them from the top side, then the next set up rafters.
I am using mostly rough cut lumber, because I want the look to not be even, so it looks old, and the minor differences in each board will add character.
I know this is a large undertaking, but I have built log homes and cabins in the past with my father and grandfather, and I want to involve my kids in the building, as I have fantastic memories of doing this with my father and grandfather(though a few scares and such)

All the ones I've seen, prefabricate the frames in a shop setting and assemble them on site.

Grizz