View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
I've started tying a snelled trailer hook as a "stinger" as well. It can be nice when bait fishing if you lose your bait on a missed strike.

I've also had success adding beads and spinners to my rigs. When the river has a little bit of current, the spinners add some nice action to the rigs. I've found that I do get a few more snags when using the spinners and extra hook.

I use a heavy PowerPro braid as a main line, 20lb fluoro as the line to my hooks, and an ~8lb mono line for my weight. I know that it might be a little over the top, but when there are large sturgeon and trophy walleye in the area, I don't want fish to die from snags, and I don't want to lose a memorable fish.

As far as bait, you have to go natural, at least in my experience. Worms, minnows, leeches, sucker meat, shrimp, bacon, etc.
Not overkill at all. I use 80 lb power pro mainline, 50 Lb leader to hook, and a bit of 30lb to the weight. I want the weight to break off but 30 lb gets you out a lot of the time without having to lose the weight and re rig one on.
But I’m usually targeting sturgeon though.