View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
who me, at no time did I state I could take two men I simply stated I would give no quarter in the face of poor odds.
secondly, I stated guns turn cowards into men of action. I did not call anyone a coward.
every one speaks of the right to carry a hand gun . where is this right. next they state god given right . cant find that one in the bible. the only place I find reference to right of arms is in the US constitution.

our country went to war in order to maintain a separate set of rights with absolutely no influence from our southern neighbors.
the posts on an other thread have been twisted to suit one person view and taken in a context not directed at this thread.
can some one please point out the last time a canadian could legally carry a hand gun concealed or open .
I fail to see how our laws and rights could have no influence from the Americans since both sets of laws are deeply influenced by British common law.

The Criminal Code of Canada enacted in 1892, required individuals to have a permit to carry a pistol unless the owner had cause to fear assault or injury. Not until 1935 was it considered an offence to sell a pistol to anyone under 16. Vendors who sold handguns had to keep records, including purchaser's name, the date of sale and a description of the gun fr http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_pol...laws_in_Canada

So up until 1935 you could carry a pistol with a permit, unless you had cause to fear assault or injury, in which case I assume you wouldn't need a permit??

Our right to keep and bear arms in our own or the country's defense comes from exactly the same place as the American one -- English Common Law, the English Bill of Rights 1689, the writings of Sir William Blackstone in his Commentaries on English Law, and others. All these laws (and indeed the full body of English Law), became part of Canadian law on our Confederation in 1867 with the affirmation of the British North America (BNA) Act. fr http://www.rkba.ca/

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow... For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding."
-- Jeff Snyder, Oct 20, 1994

Another discussion on "rights" etc...by Jeff Snyder. Very interesting and a must read:
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig2/stagnaro2.html

It really is a shame that these ideas of rights and liberty are not taught in school to all citizens. That people can vote without having a concept of these vital concepts is a disservice to the notion of democracy.

Last edited by rugatika; 08-12-2012 at 11:03 PM.