View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper View Post
Read the post friend, hard to have a debate if you do not read the post. I clearly said the majority applauded the LGR legislation...of course refferring to the most recent legislation abolishing it. In any event I do believe we can learn from the past but I for one am not prepared to live in the past, the past is history there is no changing the history. If you want to mount an effective lobby the first step is to fast forward to 2012, forget about the past that is over and done with.
I read the post, and the language was confusing, when you spoke of "applauding the long gun registry legislation".

Speaking of reading posts, did you read the summary of gun laws over the last century? You speak of winning, but when was the last time you were able to carry concealed? What about enjoying an impromtu plinking session with your .45, on Crown? That's your own personal property you're prevented from using!

Nope, not living in the past. However, those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, and repeat it, and repeat it......

The gun grabbers have come right out to say that they don't expect to take them all tomorrow; it's like a loaf of bread. One slice at a time.

Maybe you have a point about moderation. I see little point in some of the ultra high velocity rounds. Actually, very few people can use them to their fullest in a hunting situation. Statistically, rifle rounds with a muzzle velocity in excess of 3000 fps have killed the lion's share of people in recent history, not to mention that they can be deadly at over 5 km away.

Often these high powered sniper calibers are chambered in bolt action rifles, originally designed for warfare and a commonly play a prominent role in assaults with guns. They are easily fitted with scopes that allow killing shots at extreme range, and far too easily adapted to fit large 10 and 20 round magazines; which are commonly available at many sporting goods stores and mail order outlets, not even requiring a special license!

Compounding the danger of these high powered bolt actions, is the ease in which the trigger can be tuned to what's known as a "hair trigger". The sportsman has no need of any trigger lightening, and becomes as dangerous to innocent bystanders as he is to his quarry with such reckless mechanical work done to the rifle.

There are plenty of sporting arms to choose from besides glorified sniper rifles.
Wouldn't affect me too much if 3000+ fps rifles were restricted, and 3000+ fps repeating bolt actions were prohibited. I enjoy rifles of a more moderate velocity myself.