View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 11:43 PM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper View Post
Well while I certainly respect the comments and opinions on this thread, there is no such thing as the absolute right to defend yourself
(2) Every one who is unlawfully assaulted and who causes death or grievous bodily harm in repelling the assault is justified if

(a) he causes it under reasonable apprehension of death or grievous bodily harm from the violence with which the assault was originally made or with which the assailant pursues his purposes; and
(b) he believes, on reasonable grounds, that he cannot otherwise preserve himself from death or grievous bodily harm. [R.S. c.C-34, s.34.]

Quote:
or your property in Canada. Thinking so will find you on the wrong side of the law rather quickly. Having a right to do anything is determined by the society we live in. If someone decides to break into your home you do not have the right to defend yourself, you have the right to use" reasonable force" to defend yourself.What that means it is the courts who make the decision on your rights not you.
Ok, but I think that if someone wants to cause death or grievous injury to my family or myself. I will do everything in my power to make sure that we're there for the court date. It's vastly better than the alternative.

Quote:
My take on a right to do something means the the consequences of my actions do not impede freedom. By that I mean not being sent to jail because some judge decides my actions in the defense of my life or my property was exsessive. Frankly we are either law abiding or we are not, the current laws simply do not give any person in Canada the RIGHT to protect ourselves. Those two little words "reasonable force" are how your precieved right will be interpreted by the law.

I am not saying that is right or wrong that is up to you to decide, what I am saying is that the law is clear with respect to any of us and the level of force we use in self defense. If you want to know what your actual rights are as a Canadian citizen then the simple solution is to read the Canadian Constitution it clearly describes what your rights and freedoms are.
Reread it.

Quote:
Your's and my rights are dictated to us by the society in which we chose to live. If you do not like the laws here or you think your constituional rights are a detrement to you ability to protect yourself, the simple solution is to exercise your Right to move to a local that better suits your beliefs. You want the right to protect your life and property without the restriction of reasonable force the solution is to move to Texas. You want the right to carry a handgun the simple solution is to move to a state that allows people to do that. The theory is simple in nature, if you want the right to carry a hand gun it is a lot easier and makes a lot more sense for you as an individual to find a place to do that, what you cannot expect is to think the rest of society should change to suit your needs.
No one can dictate your or my rights. That's why they're rights. If you don't want to carry, or own guns, move to Britain. See what I did there?

This is my country too, so I'll try to better it.

Quote:
I am not being flipant with those remarks, I am just sating that certain societies have different laws which create different personal "RIGHTS". If you chose to be Canadian then you are expected to follow the Canadian laws. How you feel about those laws are a choice you get to make on your own, what is right for me may not be right for you what however is constant is that the same laws apply to all of us.

You want to change the laws, simple get your name on the ballot, and people will exercise the most basic democratic right we have...the right to vote. The people decide, that is how democracy works.
So if you lived in a society that required your first born male for a life of military service, you would merely comply. The state demands it, right? What right do other people who seek to change the law have, if I have no right to change the law? Seems a little lopsided and dictatorial to me.