View Single Post
Old 10-11-2015, 09:41 PM

Default Grass carp are no longer allowed in AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
I am not joking when I say this but... Could sterile grass carp be the solution? I mean, a lot of oxygen depletion comes from vegetation decomposition. And although we are introducing these species into select lakes (maybe one to start off with for an test), the damage they may do is only short term if it is not successful.
You can say vegetation is a habit for aquatic insects, and this reduction will throw the ecosystem off for a bit in sure, but none of the stocked lakes are natural fish populations, so why not for an experiment.

I'm just bsing here so don't take my comment too seriously, but it's something to think about.
The grass carp program in Alberta has been cancelled. DFO and the federal agriculture group have created a new introduced and exotic species act. The intent is to provide better control and legislations with respect to introduced exotic species. Its mostly targeted at the exotic invaders. However, grass carp show up in this legislation as prohibited. Therefore they are no longer available anywhere in Alberta and because the act is federal they are actually prohibited Canada wide.