View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrenalin View Post
Thanks for the replies. When i say "long range" I'm talking about 500 yards, til i'm very confident at that distance. Only after that I'd like to get into shooting at longer distances ( out to 1000 yards) What do you guys recommend for a rifle that would be good for long range shooting but also can be used for hunting? Thanks in advance.
I'm shooting the savage 111 in 270 wsm. I can reach out to 500 yards comfortably with factory ammo and I don't pretend to be any kind of professional. I find the 270 wsm cartridge to be nice shooting and very forgiving for anyone that is recoil sensitive. I have had two of my "nonshooter" friends shatter a watermelon at 200 yards with this rifle. I have also heard that there are many options for triggers and barrels if you want to refine the savage more than it comes from the factory, but I dont know a lot about that. I'm sure if you ask fellas like roger or catnthehat on here they could tell you more details as they know much more then the average shooter.