View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrenalin View Post
I am thinking of buying a long range rifle for hunting/shooting. I've been reading as much as i can find on this site and the long range hunting site. One of my questions is it seems all the info i've been reading is geared towards .30 caliber and bigger calibers. Would i be alright shooting something like a 270 wsm at long range. I hunt moose, deer and deer. Another question i have is there a factory production rifle that would be accurate right out of the box or should i go with custom right off the bat. I am looking to spend about $2000 for the rifle and another $1000 or a scope. I am not stuck on the 270, just not a big fan of really heavy recoil.
For the budget you have alotted for a rifle, you are miles away from a true custom. But given what you are wanting to do , yes I have read the entire postins so far, I think a tuned factory rifle will be more than adequate.
The 270 wsm would not be 1 of my first choices as you are extremely limited in what rifles are produced in this caliber, there is NO premium type ammo or components for the caliber either, which will be a significant handicap.
There is a reason that the 7s , 30s and bigger are used for real long range work.
Physics is most of it. Heavier bullets with higher BCs are easier to get predictable trajectories with, and retain velocity and energy further down range.

A 7Rem Mag in a heavier weight rifle is NOT abusive at all yet can easily be used to ill game at 1000 yards IF the shooter is competent.
The bigger the caliber the better the chances of clean kills at long range, hence the popularity of the big 30s and 338s for this specific task.

As mentioned the 7 Rem Mag has some really good bullets available, that are designed for match accuracy but work well in the hunting situation.
That would be my minimum caliber, the 300 win mag would be a step up and has won tons of 1000 yard competitions, so is know for accuracy and still has plenty of killing power available.
The 700 Police line from remington, comes in 7 Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag as well as 300 RUM if you really want a big 30.
They also come in smaller calibers but they would NOT be effective for killing game at the 1000 yard mark you hope to attain.

With minimal tuning the 700Ps are known to be 1/2 moa shooters and under the $2K budget you have.
To alot more $$ for optics would be a wise idea, mediocre optics are NOT something you want for long range work.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range