View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
I don't see any problem with shooting moose, deer or deer out to 500 yards using a 270wsm if the shot can be placed properly.
No argument with that,but as his second post stated.

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. When i say "long range" I'm talking about 500 yards, til i'm very confident at that distance. Only after that I'd like to get into shooting at longer distances ( out to 1000 yards)
It's that 500 yards to 1000 yards that makes the 270wsm less than desirable for the reasons already stated.My opinion might not carry much weight,but I would heed the opinion of Rick from ATR.as long range precision shooting is certainly an area of his expertise.
Rick posted:
Quote:
The 270 wsm would not be 1 of my first choices as you are extremely limited in what rifles are produced in this caliber, there is NO premium type ammo or components for the caliber either, which will be a significant handicap.
There is a reason that the 7s , 30s and bigger are used for real long range work.
Physics is most of it. Heavier bullets with higher BCs are easier to get predictable trajectories with, and retain velocity and energy further down range.