View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asheepatthewheel View Post
catnthehat what would you consider a good 5 or 600 yd rig....and what do you think of the WSMs??
There has been volumes wriiten about long range calibers, and not just within the last few years either.
I have the first volumes of Handloader magazine and in it they they discuss the 30/378 Weatherby wildcat and its 1,000 yard capabilities.

However, any of the magnums will be fine, and for 5-600 the 270WSM is right in there as well as the 270 WTBY, etc.
Anything running a good hunting weight bullet (140 grains and better) about 3,000 fps or better will do it, and some less than that.
The BIGGEST variable - and most all long range shooters and hunters will agree, is not the equipment, but the shooter.

We have seen firestorms on all forums about "ethics" and " long range wounding" , etc .There is no difference , IMO, of wounding an animal at 100 yards than at 1,000 yards.
A gut shot animal will go just as far, and in my day I have seen a moose gut shot with a 375 H&H run for a very long way when hit at 120 paces.

however, with that out of the way ( for now) , I have done extensive shooting with all the WSM's except the 7.

I have loaded ammo for people that have killed moose past 400 with the 325, and deer with the 270 and 300 WSM's.
My own 6.5WSM rifles have more than enough accuracy and residual energy for those distances , and with a high BC bullet fly flat.

If a person were going to get serious abouyt long range hunting however, IMO you cannot beat the big 30's and 338's.
yes, I know people do it all the time with the 7mag and others , I have a friend who shot a moose at 900 measured ( on a map) yards with a zeroing shot then one in the neck with a 9Xscope.
BUT, that was years ago before laser range finders,etc.

The big reason I say the big guns is simply this.
A 338 lapua with a 250 grain bullet runs ABOUT 92" at 1,000 yards, give or take.
ii is ONLY 2" different than my 6.5WSM. with a 140 grain bullet, with the same velocity
BUT, when my bullets hit the steel at that range , it leavs a good mark.
When the lapua hits it, it DENTS it.
That is the difference.
Oldbadger , BTW, put 3 under 1MOA with that 338 at 1,000 , laying across a log, resting his hand against the log.
That is not as easy as some would have you think with an unbraked rifle.

Just something to ponder as you try and decide.
Myself, my caliber choice stops at my comfort level, and being one that hates to shoot guns with brakes, my long range distance has closed up drasticlly.
My long range guns are heavy, and 6.5 calibers, so naturally I will not go past 700 yards, I just am not comfortable with the energy level, even though I can shoot accurately at that range.
Hope this long post helps.....
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 02-18-2009 at 10:13 AM.