View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Just a question but why would you have to shoot a moose at 1000 yards? Sneaking up to within 200 yards of a moose is no great feat, getting much closer than that is usualy possible. In much of the province the habitat that they ocupy makes shots of much over 100 yards impossible. I think almost every moose I've ever killed I could have done it with a 30-30. I just dont understand carrying around a heavy rifle and putting up with that much recoil for a shot that may never come. Had a friend that had been lugging around a heavy 300wm for 9 years when I hunted with him, when asked if he had ever had to make a shot that required such a gun all he could come up with was that he had once shot a black bear that was a long ways away. I quit hunting with him cause he understandably did most of his hunting from his truck cab.
Try sneaking up on a moose who is standing in a field being 1 full section of cut alfalfa that is only 4" off the dirt and that same section having the same topography as a pool table. We only had access in from 1 side and he happened to be on the farther end of said section.
I was in that exact scenario, which also accounts for my furthest kill on game to date at 1127 yards.

We ALL have different ways of hunting. Some prefer the tranquility of hunting off of horses, other prefer quads, some walk, some road hunt.
To each their own I believe.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range