View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 11:15 PM

Default The 3 Shot 5 Gallon Pale Challange

Calling on all 94.36% of lousy Shooters out there.

The time has come to finish off the left over game Harvesting ammo from the 2017 year end.

The challange is to kneel down with rifle & cartrage of your choice at 200 yards or metres and shot at a 5 gallon pale.

5 gallon USA pale at 200 yards.
23 Litre pale at 200 meters since its metric. Oh Boy.

The trick is to hit the pale, yes I know that this is going to hard to do with winter mittys and toque, but hey,,, that's just part of being Canadian.

Here's the kinda guide lines.
The pale has to be a pale, you can shot it standing up or pale laying down.
If you want to punch the holes threw the top or bottom, that's OK to.
A real light scuff off the edge of the pale is classed as a 1/2 hit. LOL

The pale can be plastic or metal, new or old, with or with out a handle, and can be any colour you want.
You can either tape a target onto the pale or paint it at your choosing.

Once the 3 shots are fired at it, the shooter is not allowed to take any more shoots at it. If it is going to be used again,,, the pale has to be fully rapped with a replacement cover for the next 3 shots.

Sorry folks, that how this challange works
Ha.

Those that have picture hosting are welcome to put them up and describe the all.

Day, year, temp, range, general out doors, winds, elevation, time of day, rifle, optics, caliber, bullets used. Kneeling free hand or sling, technique used to hit the pale, winter gear your wearing, group shot before or after coffee, and what rusty truck took you to and from the shooting set-up.
No shooting sticks or bypods allowed,,, only kneeling, hand and sling with no other supports touching the rifle, or leaning / resting body on anything either.

If you wish to add extras over and above this list, then by all means since I know a few of you use Ox & Cart at this time of year, I'm getting to this challange on my Mule name Hous,,, he has soft ears. Ha.

So all 94.36% of shooters including me that hasn't done a kneeling shot in 14 or 18 years are allowed to freely join in on the 3 Shot 5 Gallon Pale Challange.

If your in the above 94.36%, then you loose a 1/2 point due to higher skill levels,,, that way it evens out the playing field. Kinda like us 94.36% of folks come to the race track with a Ford Pinto knowing that we're up against a 1000 hp Mustang. LOL

Good luck everyone,,, I'll post this weekend coming up.
I share a little trick I learned in free hand iron silhouette match from years gone by. Oldtimers like K Jackson & R Hutchison trained us well back then.

Don

PS:
Basically shooting while kneeling off the frozen ground with support from what our bodies offer.Those that can't kneel can only shoot with 1 hand, those with more challanges above this can find another option that makes it fair for everyone.

Options might be an extra 100 meters / yards, shooting up side down like the one PRS challange, maybe shooting a coffee can instead.
So long as one feels that it adds a bit more of a challange.

Don't forget to document the size of the groups.
Remember, this is a fun shot, and a person can post as many attempt as they want threw out the year.
My first attempt will be the craps, once I do it a few time, I'm sure it will all come back.

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 12-04-2017 at 11:23 PM.