Thread: Rabbit hunting
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-eco-hunter View Post
Alright, going to take the hunters education course, as well as international bowhunting education program from same place, and I'll get the book. Thanks for the advice and constructive criticism, except jimbo who is kind of a dink, but no hard feelings.
Cheers
LOL... Dink

I am sorry that you think I am a dink. I hope you find these courses useful in your future.

Here is a link to the online copies of the Fishing, Hunting, Trapping regulations as well as the Draw Booklet: http://www.srd.alberta.ca/FishingHun...s/Default.aspx

In the Hunting regulations booklet information about Crossbow hunting and species is covered in depth. Since crossbows are not archery tackle in AB, they are subject to several restrictions not applied to regular archery tackle. They are covered on Pages 59-60 about what is not big-game species, when you can hunt them and any seasons (if applicable).

I was right, no migratory birds may be hunted with a crossbow, with no specific mention upland species, although shooting these birds on the wing with a crossbow may be subject to an "ethical" debate.

So in regard to the regulations, bowhunting does not include the use of crossbows, so keep that in mind. Further depending on where you are you will need permission from landowners, or if on public land you need to be aware of surrounding landownership (those around you where you may not have legal access) or lease ownership (Maps are available from the Municipal District offices), as hunting on privately owned land requires permission (written or oral).

You can acquire maps of crown land, and use them to determine suitable places to hunt and camp, this land is public and more or less open to all to use (later in the year, Ranchers may put cattle into grazing leases on crownland).

There is absolutely no hunting in national parks, no discharging of weapons, etc... Keep that in mind.

Doing things the "right way" merely entails following the regulations in regard to the activity you are participating in while in Alberta. Anecdotal suggestions from this forum are not a defence when a conservation officer catches you doing something you shouldn't.

What you should have done was ask your friends about hunting regulations in Alberta, get a copy of the regs (which I gave you a link), read through, familiarize yourself with them even though they are for 2010 (2011's will be released in the near future). If you had questions about the regs from there, you can post on the forum for clarification (which you now have).

Have one of your hunter friends take you out for rabbits, and learn some techniques, and practice, they are all over AB, just make sure your hunting is some where your allowed to be.

Sincerly,

The "Dink"