View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 12:17 PM

Kinbasket is pretty tough fishing compared with other bc lakes. Bc hydro drains the lake as much as100ft each year killing off most all the plant life. Catching rainbows larger than 5lbs and kokanee more than 1lb is rare. Some decent sized burbot and bull trout can be had once in awhile. There are no lake trout in kinbasket. I have fished this lake hundreds of times and if you want big fish come in april and do some c&r for big bulls. Rainbows and kokanee dissappear in early winter and dont return until late spring. High summer makes for good camping and plentiful small kokanee but the more the lake fills the more the fish population becomes diluted. In short kinbasket offers opportunities that cant be had at other bc lakes but the fishing is NOT great compared to other water within a couple of hours drive. I honestly have tried many fishing methods from trolling to bait and sinker and my best luck is still had walking the shore with a large five of diamonds. I catch more fish walking the shore than out of a boat almost every time except for summer kokanee. As kinbasket is just a flooded mountain valley down rigging is risky the depth changes unnaturally and the bottom still has huge old growth forest in spots. Which brings me to my other fav spring kinbasket hobby.... collecting snagged tackle during low water. So if you happen to lose some high end gear on the north end of the lake in less than 100 fow there is a chance it will end up in my tackle box.