Thread: Ice Beaver
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
Red, I can appreciate your logic with not catching pregnant beavers if maintaining a quality population is the goal. However, some areas are getting over populated in part due to lack of trapping. Late season beaver trapping can also be part of maintaining a healthy population.
I agree. Every eco system has it's carrying capacity. A lack of trapping can cause lots of problems in regards to private land damages. Over populations are more a private land problem. Most counties are usually reactive and not proactive when managing beavers on private lands and county waterways. Resident trappers trapping on private lands should want to help land owners even when pelts have little or no value, (castor and carcass still have some value) as part of their trapping access agreements.

I think crown land (Registered line) trappers do use strategies for managing beavers on their lines. Even with low prices on beaver pelts they do help pay a bill or two and the meat supplies a meal or bait.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets