View Single Post
Old 02-05-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
There hasn’t been much discussion on useful blade shape for a hunting knife. I’ve gone down a bit of a rabbit hole looking for ideal shape and size but find very little really good knives for this purpose. Is anyone else finding similar things?

Ross Seyfried wrote an article on blade shape years ago and I finally found it in my stack of magazines. Honestly the only really helpful article I’ve read on the subject.
I agree. Knives have always been interesting to me and I have collected many over the years for all different purposes. Over the past 3 years though blade design handle shape/ configuration has become a very important aspect. Hand fatigue/ cramping....loss of grip makes using a knife for any duration a more daunting task. Ergonomics of blade and grip, bevel angles, all of these things have become much integral to the overall usefulness of a knife. One day I hope to be able to afford a custom knife made by a real craftsman designed specifically for my hand for ease of use.. until that day I have a few knives that tic some of the boxes. I find I like a different blade shape/ design for gutting deer than doing gutless for instance. I have not used one but from my experience those crotts designs look very much like a perfect blade shape for my liking for gutless style breakdown ( skinning and quatering) for gutting deer I prefer a slightly thinner style blade almost like a fillet knife but shorter and a bit more stiffness behind the edge.