View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertslake View Post
I think it's global warming myself, these days. I used to blame it on the Russians then I realized they didn't have the technology to influence fish behaviour. There may be link with UFO sightings though. Just my speculations, nothing definitive.

Seriously though, just as you say there are many theories, speculations etc etc. I have used solunar tables going out at best times on best fishing days and nada. Then on a day that shows as poor fishing I have limited, go figure.
I would definitiely agree that water temperature has an effect as they become a lot less active when temepratures rise and O2 levels drop, but I have also had good fishing days with temperatures in the 80's.
All I know is that one day you get them and the next you don't, same time of day same conditions same flies, bait lures or whatever and totally different results.
I asked a guy from BC what wind direction he figured best for fishing and he said it is always best with an east wind. Go east and they say a west wind is best. So, the wind only blows on the surface, so is it really the wind that is influencing fish behaviour, if they re down 60-100ft below the surface.Possibly it's the barometric pressure.
They say the lateral line is a hypersensative organ that influences fish behaviour, but what does it sense? maybe barometric pressure, maybe temperature, maybe O2 concentration, vibrations from other fish and insects, maybe all of the above, maybe none of those.
And behaviour on a certain day is not species specific. I have fished on lakes with brown and rainbow trout and had endless strikes from the browns and not one rainbow came near me. On other days, it all turns around to lots of rainbows and no browns. So, different species obviously behave differently with the same conditions. Why? your guess is just as good as anyone's
I think it's best at my time of life not to analyse it too much, just get out there an expect the good days and the bad. And always remember we need the bad days, otherwise if it was great all the time it would take away what this is all about, the challenge of deceiving the fish.
My 2c worth.