View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Nicely done! Sort of looks like Wash Rock at Nootka.

We gave up on knuckle dusters long ago and just fish level winds like the PENN 320 & 330. Much better drag control.

Try taking off the hook supplied on the Skinny G and put on a 5/0 Eagle Claw Circle Sea (Circle hook). Just crimp the barb. You will be impressed how they stay in when a spring jumps multiple times.

All the same, looks like a great trip and adventure for the family!

Drewski
This is Cree Island in Barkley Sound. We didn't lose any of the chinook with the stock hooks on the spoons. Even though my daughter's launched like 2 or 3 times. I have seen a few straight hooks in photos due to light guage of hooks on the skinny g.

You use circle hooks on spoons??? Thats the first I have ever heard of anyone doing that. Sure once hooked up probably on really good, but I would think you're potentially missing hook ups with the circle hook. Try batting at a circle hook with an open hand and a siwash hook with bent shaft. I would think more likely a siwash ends up in your flesh. Which is kind of how I imagine spoon hook ups occur. The fish kind of slash at it. It's not like taking bait in the setting where circle hooks are usually used. I'd like to see a head to head trial of that presentation though. Very interesting.

I have Penn level wind reels as well, but in my oppinion they are total joy killers. Takes the excitement out of landing a big salmon. Like pulling them in with a high tech winch. Where as a mooching reel is One to One and the fisherman is the drag. So munch more of an experience fighting fish on mooching reels in my humble opinion. Plus I don't go out there to land every fish. I go out for the experience. My freezer is always full, and pantry full of canned salmon. I do not need to land every fish living on the coast now.

I totally understand guys like my uncle with a bad shoulder have some trouble keeping up to the fish on a mooching reel or my dad who gets tired or cranking seem to have an easier time with the level wind. For now I still enjoy knuckle busters and not looking like every other American out there.

Personal preference of course and I do it like I do cause I love it. As long as you are enjoying the way you fish I dont think you should ever worry about what other people are doing. If I had a few bucks to burn I'd love to have 4 Islander reels on 10'6" gloomis mooching rods. Dream gear some daym

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures