View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 09:29 AM

Funny Thread....

Part of my job is to maintain our status on ISN,Complyworks, PICS, etc.

It is almost a full time job just looking after the bureacracy. I see many of the comments on here and agree with them.

It all started years ago with the COR and having to have that meant you were recognised by a Partnership between OHS, WCB and Industry Association as having a safety program that met certain criteria. Then with a peer auditor process and external auditirs, and the safety associations all granting COR's so they could say they helped companies save $XXXX that the COR process became meaningless.

Because of the stricter OHS laws and Bill C-45 companies who held prime needed more assurance they were not going to jail... Oil companies subcontracted out their prime obligations a long time ago and now the next company down on the chain realised the liabilities and that they needed more assurance so they built their own subcontractor pre-qualification process which required a legal department to write MSA's so instead these were built by one legal company and then every oither company boiler plated them and they are all designed for project work involving construction or manufacturing.

Then somebody came up with the idea that they could take this over using an online process to make things easier for the client and gain revenue from the prospective subs and charge a nominal fee to the clients so it would not be considered extortion.

Great Business model!.... However because now people needed their COR and be compliant with ISN like companies now all the people that built safety manuals and sold them to companies to meet COR changed their business and now they help companies become ISN compliant for a fee.

Now the big companies are starting to conduct ISN audits to check to see if the companies are for real or just making up stuff to look good on ISN and stay on the bid list. It has become a circle jerk.

You can look at a companies WCB status and discount/surcharge position online. I see competitors who are in a surcharge position with WCB because they have higher than industry average claim expenses, yet on ISN they have glowing numbers and status....because they have had a third party look after their ISN.

I was getting calls weekly from "Safety Services" to take over or ISn and finally I had to get rude and tell them the next time they call I would report them to BBB because I am tired of their harassment.

As a safety professional I see that we have created a safety industry based on bureacracy and it embarrasses me to see so much done for nothing. Instead of having people out working, supervising, training, assisting people to ensure they are provided with tools, equipment, and intellectual capital to do their job safely we are dealing with a bureacratic nightmare....

I am waiting for the day when somebody says enough is enough and stands up and calls this what it is... legal extortion in the name of misplaced diligence. Being denied the ability to consuct work and thus affecting ones livelyhood because somebpdy is not participating in a phantom meaningless process could be argued in a court of law according to the charter of rights and freedoms....

Now I am in transportation and one section in ISN that i have to complete is a journey management process.... Transportation is JOURNEY MANAGEMENT... we do not send out a truck unless it is asked for and it will generate revenue...there also is transportation law requiring a bill of lading and conditions of carraige... and yet we have to provide a waiver of subrogation for insurance which actually is meaningless fr us as the bill of lading supersedes any and all other agreements. Yet their is no provision for that in the ISN....

Anyways that was the long version

Short version:

This is complete and total waste of time and resources in useless bureacracy but we have to participate because if we do not we do not stay in business.