View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 07:22 PM

Had my 3rd class since 1997, operating can be really busy, dirty and phisically intensive or it can be really boring and lazy, just depends where you get a job.
I am a control room operator in FtMac and I find it boring and would like to change career's but I can't think of anything that pays this well that I won't have to go back to school for.

There is way too much competition in Calgary and Edmonton to expect to get a job there without a minimum of a third class and a second would be much better. This is a who you know industry and it can help alot with getting one of the good jobs.
The hours are hard on family and marriages since you will most likely be working 12 hour shifts days and nights including weekends. Most people start in small towns away from family and friends which makes things even harder on the wife or girlfriend.
I find that too many people get into this field for the wrong reasons. It pays well but you are expected to be a jack of all trades and have a certain amount of trouble shooting skills and ability to understand process and correct things. Nothing bothers me more than having to train some snotty jerkoff straight outta school that thinks he knows everything because he got an 80% in prime movers class but he can't even change the oil on his own car.

As a side note. Most injuries seem to be during the first 3 years out of school. So if you do get into it listen to those that have been there a few years, they might just save your life.

Good luck.

Unless you can travel 1000 meters in 1.4 seconds you can't outrun my Lapua

1000 rounds minimum for every gun! You have to be ready when the zombies come.