View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorcat View Post

Ultimately, I'd like to find out if the career would suit me or not. Honestly, having a homer simpson-type job making six figures sounds pretty sweet imo.

My opinion is: you guys got it really good, and I think some of you may not realize just how good you have it. Most professions never break the six figure mark, and with many other professions, people aren't compensated for overtime.
It's not that everyone is bitter about the job, we are just telling you the pros and cons. It's defintily not a heres your report complete it, good job on that report.

Here is an example of my last 4 night shifts. First 3 had maybe a dozen alarms come in in a 12 hour shift, most very minor / nuisence, basically did nothing for 11 hours. Don't get me wrong i'm not complaining, just it does get fairly old after a while. The fourth night shift. The pump seal went in a boiler feed water pump during the day so we are running on the back up which was waiting to be repaired, hopefully it makes it through the night. 10 pm very high vibration alarms, pump seal blows, shaft breaks between turbine and pump, plant is shutdown and flaring gas within 5 mins. 165 alarms come in in 5 mins, have a phone on each ear (1 is the steam chief the other the plant forman), and 2 plant operators asking for what to do next. Plant has been down for a week and is down for another.

This is a perfect example of a previous post of "we get paid for what we know, not what we do" I got paid for doing nothing the first 3 nights but it was all being able to apply what i know in the 4th night and get the plant shutdown safely, and flaring as little gas as possible.

Another way of looking at the job is, really does any one really want to go to work every day, and it's the best thing they do all week. Prob not, sure I have to work some weekends and nights, but I get half the month of and get paid mid 6 figures to do it. Couldn't imagine woring downtown Calgary 5 days a week for $70,000 a year and fight traffic 2 times a day. I can't think of anything that i could practically do, for the same money and time off, so that in turn makes me enjoy the career!

Dustin