View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 12:43 PM
OutdoorChet

Default Re: crossbows

I don't understand why everything has to be made so easy for people. In my opinion, the thing that makes archery season great is that there is a lot less competition from other hunters because it takes a more dedicated hunter to learn how to hunt with a vertical bow than other legal weapons. There are generous general seasons in place that allow you to hunt with any legal weapon. Equipment restrictions help preserve the quality hunting experience that archery season is all about. No one is prevented from participating, it just requires a bit of dedication.

It's true that crossbows have more in common with vertical bows than firearms and they are effective hunting weapons. I don't know how great of an effect that including crossbows in archery season would have on overall hunter numbers in archery season but I know I'm glad there isn't 200 more hunters at the same priority level as me for 408 archery sheep or I would be too old to climb by the time I got drawn for it.

I think making it easier to access the archery season would have a negative effect on the archery hunting experience. Archery season isn't really about population control, general season is the main event for that.

I know lots of people think its a selfish opinion but I don't really think so. It's open to everyone - even those with disabilities that are unable to use a vertical bow.

Chet