View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 02:14 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
I believe that is true. I also think that some of the hunting rights seem so contradictory to people that are not Metis, or first nations or.... that it seems much bigger than it really is. What I mean is that there is much ado about a deer shot in June... It just seems so wrong to those who are restricted to seasons. and becasue it seems so wrong, it gets much more talked about, and elongated and on and on,..until one would believe that that every hour of the day, somewhere in their hunting WMU, during the month of June ..a Metis is killing deer.
I see nothing wrong with a Metis shooting a deer in June and I see nothing wrong with a Metis hunter taking several deer in June to feed others in the Metis community. This is a big part of the Metis heritage. What I and I think most non-status hunters do have a problem with is Metis driving from Medicine Hat to Pincher Creek to target trophy bighorn rams. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is not part of the Metis hertitage that I'm aware of nor does it fall under the definition of subsistence.

There's nothing contradictory at all about Metis hunting rights when excercised in the spirit the right was granted.

Last edited by sheephunter; 06-30-2010 at 02:21 PM.