View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 09:06 PM

Default Rug, Bushrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
You know, I never thought of it that way. I too always felt the police had their arms tied and really couldn't do anything about criminals that went to trial and then walked, and yes I've talked to police that were just as frustrated as I was about that situation too.

But, Bushrat makes an excellent point. If the police associations started lobbying gov't and making statements to the media about what a crock of crap things like short sentences, suspended sentences and so on were, then we might see action on these things.

Be interesting to hear your take on this BIGD. Also how do you feel about all the police associations that "support" the gun registry? I know one officer who thinks it's an outrage that civilians are allowed to own guns at all.

Thanks for your input. Good to hear from a police officer on this and other issues and I hope you continue to offer your opinion on this and other matters on this board.

As to increasing prosecutorial funding...maybe we would need less funding for this area if criminals actually went to jail and served out an extended sentence rather than keep coming back through the system over and over.

Rug
Police are prohibited from voicing publicly any opposition (or support) for anything political or having to do with anything duty related. The RCMP does not have an 'association' or union or whatever you want to call it- prohibited by law and the RCMP Act...

Regarding the issue of funding, it's a catch 22. More funding is needed to create more jail space to put criminals where they belong, which should in theory free up time for prosecutors to more effectively deal with investigational files. Until this happens, they need more money to hire competent help with the caseloads they are now burdened with. Either way, it all adds up to more $$- which is getting harder to come by lately...

bigd