View Single Post
Old 03-23-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I'm going to be unpopular for this opinion, but I'm going to say it anyway. I am not against the carbon tax if two conditions were present. 1) it was clear how it was spent and it was spent on infrastructure to combat the problem 2) it was applied to all trade - nothing like making us a feckless uncompetitive country by strangling everyone from individuals to business to government and everything in between
But none of this is happening and never will. If it was a small tax that was proven to be use to develop better alternatives/infrastructure or even to clean up environmental issues I could understand as well

Unfortunately we are getting hit with an ever growing tax that has even caused us to be taxed on taxes. There is no accountability for where the money is going. The only goal given is to make it unaffordable to use products that emit carbon in hopes it decreases use. Yet we are not set up with viable alternatives and existing infrastructure doesn’t even support the alternative the government is pushing

It would be a completely different conversation if we were talking a small tax that was used for a purpose with a well thought out plan. Instead we have an over inflated tax with no accountability or direction on how the money is spent without no plans to improve the situation on why we are taxed

Personally I doubt we can have an impact on the climate and it changes throughout history with or without us but I can respect efforts to look away our air quality, water, and overall limit our population. So regardless of the climate change theory I still understand looking after what we have but the carbon tax is doing nothing of the sort