View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 09:11 AM

I think the issue here is not that Mario kept his limit, which he has every right to do under the current regulations (assuming he is not over his overall possession limit). The bigger issue for me is the keeping of the largest fish.

I don't think anyone would be criticizing him if it was 5 small or average sized fish that he kept. The issue, at least for me, is that he kept 5 and one of them was a real bruiser. Why does that bug me (and apparently quite a few other people?) Well, it's a pros and cons issue really and when it really comes down to it, you have to ask yourself, "Why do I need to take home the biggest fish I catch?" The quick answer is, "You don't." But let's do a pros and cons anyway and you can be the judge:

Pros to keeping the biggest fish:

- You get to brag to your friends and online peers and feel important (although a good pic does the same thing)
- You get more meat (although when you keep 5 average sized fish, how much meat do you really need? And how much will go to waste?)
- Perhaps it was hooked too deeply because you were having lunch while it was eating your powerbait so you couldn't throw it back? Fine. Sometimes that happens. Valid reason.

Cons to keeping the biggest fish:

- when it comes to stocked trout, usually the biggest taste the worst, especially in the spring when they are trying to spawn. So why would you keep it?
- if everyone kept the largest fish they caught, there would be very few large fish left to catch. Oh wait, too late!
- big fish are too valuable to catch just once. Why not throw it back for some other person to catch as well?
- stocked ponds are not a grocery store. Just because the limit says 5 of any size, does not mean you have to keep 5 of any size.
- If you want to get it mounted, a few quick photos and a couple measurements will do the trick. You don't need the dead fish for that.
- by releasing the big fish, you are improving the fishery for others to enjoy, making S.R.D.'s life easier by allowing more fish to grow larger, and showing a respect for other fishermen that come after you do.
- for me, I respect the largest fish too much to keep them. It's like shooting a unicorn. It's just not in me.
- the argument, "If I didn't keep him, someone else would have," does not hold water, because I wouldn't have, and a lot of other people wouldn't have.
- if enough people practice C&R on the bigger fish, the fishing in Alberta would be actually be something to write home about.

And don't get me wrong, I have a lot of room in my tiny brain for straight put-and-take fisheries, but after weighing the pros and cons, I still, for the life of me, can't figure out why someone would keep the largest fish? Either they don't know any better (which is understandable) or they choose to disrespect both the fishery and their fellow fishermen that enjoy it (which is not understandable ...or tolerable).

So Mario, by all means, keep some fish, but maybe next time think about not keeping as many and if you are lucky enough to catch a big one, think about returning it for others to enjoy as well.

Cheers.