View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Banned

"I'd also like to see restrictions placed on bow performance and keep it to say 300 fps. "
Oh oh Chef! I think this may start a whirlwind!

As i'm sure you know most bows are rated over 300 FPS IBO these days.
Besides as much as i try, i can't hit poop with a stick bow! Though i keep trying. Maybe in another 10 years i'll be good enough with it to try to take an animal. Witch makes me wonder something. If all the guys in favour of XBow hunting did get there season. Do you think they would spend much time getting practiced and consistant with it? I doubt it. Archers have a different love of the sport. How many guys have you seen or heard of practicing everyday with a xbow? Plus, if they actually think XBows are bows then how much learning do you think is needed to understand range, arrow flight, wind, elevation, arrow drop and rise...how much practice is enough?
I have spent 10 years playing around with a stick bow and i'm not comfortable enough to hunt with it. So, 1 month with a crossbow? Is that enough? 1 year? 5 years? We all practice lots with our bows and most of us are very confident at the ranges we shoot. Think Xbow hunters would be as practiced as Bowhunters? I don't think so. We don't hear about Xbow 3D, or tournements do we? I really think most guys just want a longer season. So, if they can just buy a Xbow and shoot for a day or two before they head out they are happy! Otherwise, they would need to spend months and WAY more time getting dialed in with a bow! Besides, we all know that the second the rifle season opens they will all leave there Xbows behind and pick up the trusty 300. win mag.

So i guess my question is this, for the guys that say XBows are bows? How much practice time is needed to be good enough with a XBow to effectively and cleanly take game? I ask this because there has to be a reason why you guys want to hunt with a Xbow. I think its because you know its an easier tool to learn then real Bowhunting. So, i'm all ears. Whats the reason?