View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 01:23 AM

Default Proofs in the pudding, i mean the catching

-- instead of writing about it, I went and proved it this weekend

-- I am 60 years old now, but when I was 10 to 25 I chased nothing but big pike

-- started with my Grand Father talking me out in all the reservoirs around the Hat

-- during that time we caught big, I mean big pike, we were using braid back then but it wasn't called that, and many, many big pike were caught and the numbers

-- once I was fishing on my own, my attentions turned to walleye and kokanee, for the next 35 years

-- so I found myself down on Newell on the long weekend

-- most of the weekend was spent chasing the monster walleye in Newell

-- then on the last two hours of fishing before heading back to Red Deer (Sunday), I remembered this thread

-- so I looked at the wife and said, "we are going to fish for pike" she thought I lost my mind

-- anyways it was non stop for pike, using my own advice, as my grandpa taught me, as stated above and using the biggest Len Thompson lures you can get

-- I tried hard to stay another day but the wife said no way, even though so had the time of her life, anyone that fish for pike know how hard they hit when you are trolling, I forgot what a rush that is/was!!

-- Newell has as many walleye as any other lake, perch, whitefish and ling and this lake is fine

-- so the big pike are still in any lake, just have to know where to fish based on the time of year

-- at Newell, I found the drop that went from 50, to 40, to 30, to 20 and trolled in 17 to 9 feet of water adjacent to these drops, s-turns, speed up and down and snapping the rods ... just what grandpa taught me so many years ago

-- I think I am hooked again on pike, it was time to give the walleyes and kokanees a break anyways hahaha