Thread: Costco Bikes
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I thought the same thing and over the years picked up several yards sale mountain bikes which would have originated at CT or a like. Cheap seats suck and a new one is only 40 bucks, cheap cables stretch, need constant adjustment or replace +$, cheap brakes, gear sets and tires +$$$ that could have went into a better bike. I looked on Kijiji and you can get a really decent Hybrid for $350 to $500 right now.

Most importantly though is the enjoyment of the riding. I really enjoy my Giant as I only ever tune it ever so slightly once a year along with regular lubrication and it is a blast to drive. I have a 10K route I do across Sylvan every morning in the spring and I look forward to it. If I am not heading out in the bush in the afternoon I will often do the same run after working the dogs. It's enjoyable and I get to see the characters down by the beach .

A work out on the cheap bikes was more of a chore that often got put off or ended early because the bike needed adjustment or another repair. I now think of a decent bike like a decent pair of boots. The only money wasted was on the cheap ones.
My point is that you can put smooth tires on any bike, so if you get a great deal on a higher quality used bike, and you want it to roll easier, that is an option. And I do know where you are coming from, cheap rims bend, cheap cables stretch, and in general the cheap components don't last. My last three mountain bikes were higher end bikes by Trek, Kona, and Specialized, and other than changing tires and brake pads, they have been pretty much problem free. I ride mostly the same dirt trail down the valley and out to the range , with some steep hills, and although the full suspension does require more effort to pedal, especially up hills, it is much easier on my back, and much easier to control on higher speed downhills. For the uses the OP mentions though, a rigid frame bike would be lighter, and easier to pedal, at a more affordable price.