Thread: Leeches?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2022, 07:59 AM
Banned

Default Some tips

[QUOTE=Bushmaster;4513932]OK, as part of the learning curve I set a trap last nite at 9 p.m. and checked it at 7 a.m. this morning, not knowing what to expect...cold water and all. Very surprised at the results. But they haven't reached full size yet.

Nice haul! Now comes the hard part. Cleaning them and keeping them clean. I store mine in glass jars kept at +1C or +2C. changing the water (non-chlorinated) every day for the first few days then weekly. Personally, and from that camera angle, I'd call that catch 'regulars' and 'smalls' of the sort bait shops sell for $6.00/dozen. Too early to use them (around here) so I suggest returning them and going back for the bigger ones. I've used chicken and ground but I've determined that a strip of beef liver is the best bait. More is not better; they are more attracted to the metal which is a different temperature than the water.

This year I plan to soak traps 24 hr. per day with ritual harvesting at 6 a.m. and 7.p.m. instead of placing traps for only overnight, hoping to double my output.

Free