View Single Post
Old 12-09-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Did you get anything?
Yes I did. Had a bit of an interesting experience out there but overall it was a positive experience and I enjoyed it. First day I was able to put 2 shots into a young 5x5 bull and watch it drop at 150 yards, gave it 15 mins and started walking over to it when another hunter came walking over a hill blowing a whistle yelling "thats mine".

I won't go into detail but you can imagine where the conversation went from there. Long story short range patrol was near and got involved and it basically came down to my word vs his. This other hunter seemed he was not going to leave this place with out that bull, I decided arguing in circles was not worth my time and effort and left him with the bull. Continued on for the day unsuccessful on another one.

Came back the next day hoping for good karma and hunted hard hiking in -30 windchill conditions from morning to lunch time. Was seeing herds of elk but almost all cows and a few spikers. Half way through the day we decided to do one more hike and get away from the road hunters; I was willing to shoot a small bull at this point ready to go home with meat for the freezer. We hiked to the middle of a section as far from roads as we could. Found a herd of about 250 and scanned through them. In the middle was by far the biggest bull we have seen!! They were grouped up pretty tight at this point but seemed to have a general direction they were heading. Had to hike out about 2 km to get infront of them down wind on a perfect little hill above them. As we crawled to the edge of the hill we got there just in time as they started to walk in our direction in single file right infront of us at about 250 yards. I was able to lay prone and watch every single elk walk through a pinch point single file through my scope. The bull was one of the last ones through and stopped broadside right as he entered my scope. Put one right through the vitals dbl lung pass through. He took a few steps and started breathing really hard and I put another one in the neck and he laid down and was done in seconds!

Seen hundreds of elk and probably 100 bulls mostly spikes and a few 3/4 points. And this one was the biggest we seen so was very happy to take him.

6 x 6 pretty nice elk and lots of delicious meat!

(working on trying to post a pic)