Thread: Costco Bikes
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 09:36 AM

The drive train and components are a very slight upgrade over most bikes in that price range and a big upgrade over some of the big box junk.

The problems you might run into is a quality control things and a lack of customer service. Assembly and set up is fairly straight forward for me being a licensed mechanic and probably anyone else mechanically inclined with good reading skills. After setting up lots of them and meeting people on the trail, I realize that most should leave tune ups to bike techies.

So, after you change that seat (you will find out later) and pay someone to set it up (if you don't get frustrated and toss the whole thing), you might be better served buying from an actual bike stop. You will get exactly what you want, a better quality bike, professional set up and after purchase support. ( this of course if you choose the right shop)

If you are mechanically inclined I would look at used bikes. Spend some time reading the forums and call around. That community is very helpful and has forums like this one with every question you can think of already answered. People into bikes are upgrading constantly so if you educate yourself you can get in to twice or even three times the bike for the same money.

Lastly, a begiiner mountain bike is like a starter 4X4. If it is used as designed (mountain biking) it will break. Yes the bike you are looking at will work for what you want but there are much better options. In my mid 50s for example I ride a mid level Giant hybred/trainer. It allows me to sit more upright putting less strain on my back and is much faster than a mountain bike. It rides much smoother on the trails you describe and is 100 times more fun to drive on those trails. It is over 4 times your budget new but I picked mine up for just slightly over your budget in perfect condition.